Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Orly Nite Owl... Give This Polish Some Love, Please!!

So all the hype has been about Fowl Play and its dupe-ness for OPI Merry Midnight. While I was able to get my hands on it, that's not the polish from the Birds of a Feather collection that I was really dying to try. If you follow my blog, you might know my love of Orly polishes. If you don't, let me just tell you that I LOVE Orly polishes. More specifically, I love Orly fall collections. I personally think (despite my affection towards Orly in general) that over the past few years, Orly has put out some of the most amazing fall collections out of all nail polish fall collections. Their Once Upon A Time collection from 2009 is the only full collection I own by any brand (I will be posting all of these throughout the fall). Their Cosmic FX polishes in 2010 were a huge hype, too. I only have Space Cadet due to their increased cost. And now Birds of a Feather.

I love that Orly GETS fall. They understand the colors that are very "in" colors for fall. Colors that I love seeing because they immediately make me think of fall which then makes me think of fairs, apple picking, leaves changing colors, sweaters, delicious fall smells. All amazing things.

So here we have Nite Owl.

Orly Nite Owl

Orly Nite Owl

Orly Nite Owl

Orly Nite Owl

Orly Nite Owl

Orly Nite Owl


Closeup of the gorgeous shimmer
Orly Nite Owl

*Kindly ignore the Poshe smeared on my cuticle that I didn't bother to clean up.

2 coats Nite Owl
1 coat Poshe

Apparenly Orly describes this polish as a beige shimmer. I'm disagreeing and saying this is definitely not beige. It's obviously taupe. The shimmer is a very fine silver shimmer that gives this polish an overall cool tone as opposed to warm. My skintone is important to know for this polish. I have a warm/neutral skintone, but I have olive/yellow undertones. I am pretty pale, like a MAC NC20. Normally, I wouldn't expect this polish to work for me being that it's a cool-toned taupe, but it does. And I love it. Let me try to explain how much I love this polish. If I had to severly downsize my polish collection to like 10 polishes, this would be one of the first ones I grab. If I were a person to switch between 2 polishes a season (instead of my different polish every day), this would be one of those. I love the color, I love the color on my skin, I love the shimmer, I love the overall look, I love the fall-ness, I love the neutral-ness, I LOVE this.

The formula... was fantastic. This was opaque in 2 coats, maybe opaque in 1 thick coat? Let me say it is flat out impossible to make this polish streaky or uneven. Say you missed a spot on your nail when painting. You can just paint over that spot instead of going all the way from cuticle to tip to keep it even. It is easily one of the most forgiving polishes I have ever used. I wore this to a bridal shower today, BTW. Getting ready for the FIFTH wedding I'll be attending this year!!

My final remarks? STFU about Fowl Play for a second and please give Nite Owl some lovin'!!

6 comments:

  1. Thhhaaaank you! I know dupes are fine and blah blah, but like.. who gives a hoot about a pretty dupe when there's a GORGEOUS original new polish to be had?! Don't get me wrong, Merry Midnight is stunning, but obvi we've seen it before, been there done it. I kind of have a dupe pet-peeve though sometimes, even when I want the color bad-- cause I wonder what amazing color was axed for Fowl Play. Whatev though Nite Owl is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty shade i have a shade in maybelline which resembles this one...i will share on my blog soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. @7bridges
    I completely agree!! Haha!!

    @sahar
    Very awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nite Owl looks rather similar to the Essie retail exclusive Mochacino.. I don't have that particular retail-only Essie but I'm interested to see when comp swatches pop up if Mochacino is included

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nails are really long. Love the colour though! <3

    ReplyDelete